Light for night riding

share the knowledge of bike builds & repairs, part selection & reviews, tools, how/to, safety recalls, ect...

Moderator: J.eff

sooners86

Light for night riding

Postby sooners86 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:42 pm

I'm looking into getting a light and start riding at night. Any suggestions on light choice?

brentman

Re: Light for night riding

Postby brentman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:38 am

Lots of choices on lights out there at all price/quality levels.

Mountain Bike Action Magazine's November 2013 edition has a full section on light comparisons.

After wasting lots of cash on cheap lights, I upgraded to a Lumina 350 from Bike One, (least expensive one in this line), and I can say it is very bright. It will make oncoming cars take a dirt road.

I haven't used it on a trail yet, but I expect it to be plenty bright. USB rechargeable internal battery and the overall quality, including the mounting system seems to be very good. It also will disconnect from the mount very easily to be used as a handheld light if needed.

Google the term: bike headlight Lumina and check out the YouTube vids.

Based on internet research, I've noticed some use a bar mounted light AND a helmet mounted one. I guess I will need get in some night riding to see what works. Someone with more experience may add some additional info.

Brentman

BrianU

Postby BrianU » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:37 pm

I use Magic Shine lights and while there are definitely better lights to buy, there is also a significant jump in cost. The cheaper lights allow you to try night riding without breaking the bank and also give you the opportunity to figure out what you like as far as helmet and bar mounts. I have also found that like most products, as the technology gets more refined, the cost comes down and even the less expensive items get better. I guarantee that my $100 1200 lumen light is better in every way over anything available 4 years ago that cost 5 times more.

If you are only going to have one light, I highly recommend a helmet mount. Having a light that points where you are looking is a desirable trait. I started out with a 1200 lumen helmet mount and remember thinking that I could not imagine needing more. The next year I added a second identical light with a handlebar mount and now could not imagine riding with anything less. There is no such thing as too much light when bombing through someplace like the Draper red section in the dark. The bar mounted light illuminates that area directly in front of the bike that is shadowed by the helmet light. It is also nice knowing that I have a spare if something were to happen to one light, allowing me to still ride out.

I usually meet up at Draper with a few other riders every Wednesday evening, heading out to the trail about 6:00pm. If you would like to give it a try, I would be more than happy to lend you one of my lights for our weekly ride. If you would like more information about what I use, shoot me a pm.

Cheers,
Brian

James Daniel

Postby James Daniel » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:19 pm

I got mine from Hoffman amps. He custom builds his stuff and is reasonable.

http://www.hoffmanamps.com/MyStore/perlshop.cgi?ACTION=enter&template&thispage=BikeLights&ORDER_ID=!ORDERID!

byron

Postby byron » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:36 pm

I have Light and Motion Stellas on my helmet and bars. Ditto on what Brian said. Priority one is helmet, bars are secondary. However....once you decide you like the night riding, which you will :), the dual setup is the business.

InVeNtOr

Postby InVeNtOr » Mon May 18, 2015 10:16 am

http://www.fenixlighting.com/products/f ... ights.aspx

there you go. go big or go home! lmao!

Return to “The Workshop”