Forum Software Updated

in case you have questions about the Forum (check FAQ first), want to test a message, etc...

Moderator: J.eff

J.eff
Site Admin

Forum Software Updated

Postby J.eff » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:13 am

I've updated the software engine for our forum to the newest version, but that isn't why it looks different. We're all very fond of the "Active topics" link at the top of the page, but the updated theme that looked similar to what we're used to didn't have that link. The link had been moved to a drop down menu that was not at all obvious.

So, in the interest of function over form, I updated to a different theme that featured the "Active topics" link (it's up near the top left of the page). I'm not crazy about the look of the new theme, but for now, it's the best balance between form and function I've come up with.

Aside from that, everything else should behave the same as it has in the past. If you do find any problems or encounter anything you think needs to be tweaked, please post back here and let me know.

Thanks!
Jeff

J.eff
Site Admin

Re: Forum Software Updated

Postby J.eff » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:05 pm

Well, that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. Once I got the board updated, we started getting hit with a lot of spambot registration attempts. I'd delete them without approval, so the forums weren't getting spammed, but I was getting tired of deleting 3-4/day, and running the risk of accidentally deleting a legitimate new registration.

The installed captcha systems were apparently no deterrent for the spambots, so I found a better (hopefully) captcha system, but it doesn't seem to work with the newer theme. I've switched back to the default theme.

If you're looking for the "Active Topics" link, look up to the top left of any page and you'll see an icon with three horizontal lines, and the label "Quick links". Clicking that will drop down a menu that contains an option called "Active topics".

When I get some time, I may rewrite the code to put an "Active topics" link back at the top of the page, but for now, hopefully this will work for everyone. Except for the stupid spambots. My mission is to inconvenience them as much as possible.

Jeff

Return to “Forum welcome, help & testing”